Re: Version failures creating a package with mh_make on Sid

On 28.11.2016 19:51, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:
>> On 28.11.2016 00:04, Ingo Bauersachs wrote:
>>> Hey all
>>>
>>> I'm trying to package dnssecjava (ITP 845371). I used mh_make on Jessie to
>>> do this and succeeded to upload a version to mentors. Emmanuel asked me to
>>> do the packaging on Sid instead, where I'm now failing.
>>>
>>> What I did so far:
>>> - apt install'ed maven-debian-helper and the required (Maven-)dependencies
>>> - Cloned my repo
>>> - Created a debian/sid branch based off the dnssecjava-1.1.3 tag
>>> - Run mh_make
>>>
>>> Now mh_make complains that it can't find
>>> org.apache.felix:maven-bundle-plugin:2.3.7. So far this makes sense,
>>> because Sid comes with version 2.5.4 of this plugin. Removing the
>>> version tag entirely (as you could with Maven 2) is apparently no
>>> longer a possibility and leads to this error:
>>
>> mh_make is sometimes a little bit stubborn. Did you install
>> libmaven-bundle-plugin-java on your system?
>
> Yes, and the files are properly installed under /usr/share/maven-repo/org/apache/felix/maven-bundle-plugin/2.5.4.
>
>> Make sure that it is listed
>> as a build-dependency in debian/control.
>
> mh_make is supposed to create debian/control file for me, it doesn't exist yet.

mh_make is not perfect yet. If it can't detect
libmaven-bundle-plugin-java, even if it is installed on your system,
then you need to ignore this artifact for now. Repeat this step until
mh_make creates a complete debian/directory or use an existing package
as a template which is similar to yours.

[...]
>> maven-debian-helper
>> automatically replaces the 2.3.7 version number to the versionless
>> "debian" which we use to ease package upgrades.
>
> The maven-bundle-plugin doesn't have a symbolic "debian" version, see bug 721474.

Interesting. I have touched many packages before that use
maven-bundle-plugin and never noticed it is missing a symbolic debian
version. That should probably be fixed.

>> However I think libmaven-bundle-plugin-java is probably missing in
>> debian/control.
>
> There is no debian/control yet, and even if I specify the exact 2.5.4 version for maven-bundle-plugin, Maven just continues complaining with other plugins.

Ok then I suggest specifying the exact version for now (using
maven.rules for that later should be an option too) is the way forward.
If mh_make complains about other plugins, then you have already found
the workaround for maven-bundle-plugin. Ignore the other plugins for now
or use a similar workaround until mh_make creates a preliminary debian
directory. After that you need to find out if the problematic plugins a)
exist in Debian, b) need a Debian specific substitution rule in
maven.rules and c) are listed in debian/control.