Re: Making OpenJDK 7 the default in Wheezy-LTS

Am 29.03.2016 um 09:00 schrieb Emmanuel Bourg:
> Le 28/03/2016 18:05, Markus Koschany a écrit :
>
>> Emmanuel, could you outline again what needs to be done to address your
>> concerns? As far as dependencies goes this looks sane to me.
>
> The issue is the init script of Tomcat [1], it uses
> /usr/lib/jvm/default-java first if available. The same goes for Jetty.
>
> Switching the default JRE will affect any application using
> /usr/lib/jvm/default-java directly instead of /usr/bin/java. Also if I'm
> not mistaken openjdk-6 could get autoremoved by APT and the alternative
> then switched to openjdk-7.

It seems you picked Tomcat 7 in Jessie but nevermind, although the
version in Wheezy [2] looks different it would use default-java as
JAVA_HOME too. I don't know why we wrote the find_openjdks() function in
the first place..
The admin could also override the init script with /etc/default/tomcat7.
I think this case highlights the importance of supporting one and only
one Java runtime per release, if we don't want to invest a lot of time
in fixing those corner cases.

I think we could upload new packages of Tomcat and Jetty that warn the
users about the upcoming switch to OpenJDK 7 and recommend to explicitly
set JAVA_HOME in /etc/default/tomcat7. I will also document this on
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Wheezy.

I'm not sure about the autoremoval of OpenJDK 6. On my Wheezy system
nothing got removed and I had to use update-alternatives manually.

> So my suggestion would be to push an update of java-common first with a
> NEWS file stating that we'll stop maintaining openjdk-6 in <n> months
> and switch the default JRE. This will let enough time to the LTS users
> to anticipate the change.

I like this suggestion. I will also add NEWS files to Tomcat and Jetty
when Wheezy-LTS starts. My current plan is to change default-java two
months later.

Cheers,

Markus

> Emmanuel Bourg