Re: Packaging maven-scala-plugin (Was: Help needed for gatk)

Hi David,

On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 09:38:44PM +0100, David Bernard wrote:

> TBH, I don't understand why you package a maven plugin ?

I can understand that from a maven plugin author this sounds totally
crazy since maven is designed to download what is missing.  However, the
Debian archive has to be self consistent and needs to be buildable from
source out of itself.  So per Debian policy you need to build a package
while beeing offline and the usual build process guarantees that this is
ensured by creating a chroot environment that can access only the Debian
archive.  The reason why we are packaging maven plugins is that we want
to package Java software for Debian that is using this plugin to build.
The project I want to build is gatk[1] and there is a thread on the
debian-java lists that exposes my motivation to package
macen-scala-plugin[2].

> Because the maven
> regular flow, is to let maven download and install plugins declared in the
> project, on demand, the first time it's used/required.

As I said above from a distribution point of view downloading is not
possible.

> Now, about your issue, zinc is optional (personnaly I never use it). and
> first build of a maven project should not be done offline include, first
> build of a maven's plugin. And from your log, you build the plugin offline.
> You could find the *direct* list of dependency at :
> http://davidb.github.io/scala-maven-plugin/dependencies.html

Its an interesting piece of information that you personally do not use
zinc and thus this could be ignored.  However, as you say its downloaded
at some point in time anyway due to maven's plugin mechanism.  Do you
see any chance that this download could be avoided and the source code
checks the existence before trying to access zinc?

I hope I have explained my point clearly enough and you can make some
sense out of it why we exactly need this offline mode and try to be able
to skip those things that are not used completely.

Kind regards

         Andreas.

[1] https://www.broadinstitute.org/gatk/
[2] https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2016/01/msg00050.html