Re: Splitting the Java policy from java-common

Am 22.09.2015 um 17:55 schrieb Emmanuel Bourg:
> Le 22/09/2015 17:32, Thorsten Glaser a écrit :
[...]
>> Can’t you get it merged into the normal debian-policy package?
>
> Good question, and that would probably close #395374, but I'm unsure
> about the implications of such a move. Will the Java Team be able to
> easily amend the Java policy if it's tied to the general debian-policy?
> Can we still publish updates of the Java policy independently of the
> debian-policy? Will we have to debate about changes on the debian-policy
> list?

I think we should aim for amending the Debian Policy and to clarify the
status of the Java policy. At the moment the Java policy is a rather
informal piece of good practices that is commonly followed within the
team and by other maintainers. It would be preferable if we could
maintain the Java policy by ourselves because the usual work flow to
change the Debian Policy is a time consuming (and sometimes frustrating
process) [1] [2] and I am sure we can be more flexible if we are able to
change the Java policy at anytime.

Of course in case of apparent dissent between the two policies the
Debian Policy always takes precedence. We should just clarify that Java
specific topics are covered by the Java policy and *should* be followed
similarly to how this is already done for the Perl policy. [3]

Markus

[1] https://bugs.debian.org/707851
[2] https://bugs.debian.org/741573
[3]