Re: The transition to BND 2.x

On 11.06.2015 12:50, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 06/06/2015 14:44, Markus Koschany a écrit :
>
>> I propose to create another source package, bnd2, and to switch all
>> r-deps to this new version.
>
> I'd prefer creating a bnd1 or bnd-1.5 package instead, this avoids
> having a bnd2 package in the future with a version 3.x. Several packages
> like libasm4-java are in this situation and I find this confusing.

I have no strong preference either way. I'm only a little concerned
about the different kind of workflows. A bnd1 package requires to change
all broken packages to this new binary package first, then we need to
fix all other packages and eventually upload all together with the
latest bnd version. Whereas a bnd2 package allows us to update every
package one by one as time permits without disrupting any parallel
occurring transitions.

We also need to add a Breaks/Replaces relationship because both packages
cannot coexist if we want to keep the bnd name for the command-line utility.

I'm also a bit worried about the obvious incompatibility between ant,
maven and gradle plugins on the one side and bnd on the other. It
appears they all stick with older versions of bnd and I think the
outdated upstream bnd documentation might contribute to this fact.

>> BND has 29 reverse-dependencies. Most of the build failures are trivial
>> to fix (adjusting paths and using double hyphens for parameters when BND
>> is used as a command line tool).
>
> I've also seen a flood of ArrayOutOfBoundExceptions related to bnd when
> building groovy2, but this didn't prevent the package from building.

I see those messages too but how do you know they are related to bnd?
(can't find any hints in the build log). Bnd 2.1.0 breaks Groovy2 by the
way. (ClassNotFoundException).

Regards,

Markus