Re: Tomcat 6 removal

On 10/23/2014 01:28 PM, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 02:41:55PM +0200, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just uploaded an update of the tomcat6 package that builds only the
>> Servlet API (libservlet2.5-java) and no longer the server packages
>> (tomcat6, libtomcat6-java, etc). So even if the src:tomcat6 package is
>> still part of Jessie we won't have to support the security updates.
>>
>> This change will break two packages:
>> - libjboss-remoting-java: removal pending with jbossas4 (#764250)
>> - tomcat-maven-plugin: no rdeps, low popcon. To be removed or upgraded
>> to the version 2.x to fix the build failure.
>>
>> All the other packages which were relying on tomcat6 have been updated
>> to use tomcat7 or tomcat8.
>
> Thanks, but wasn't the outcome of the discussion in April "Subject:
> Tomcat version for jessie" to only ship tomcat8?
>
> Cheers,
>         Moritz

Hello Moritz,

Yes, this was discussed at one point.  However, there was some
subsequent discussion about this during DebConf and as part of this
thread [1].  The conclusion from the Java Team is that tomcat7 is the
right choice for users given the relative newness of tomcat8 and that it
is currently under development.

Also tomcat8 requires Java 7 or later [2], which will exclude any
non-openjdk architecture.

Cheers,
tony

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2014/08/msg00093.html