Re: plan to update libcomplete-clojure to 0.2.3

On 7/18/14, 2:56 AM, Stephen Nelson wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org
> <mailto:ebourg@apache.org>> wrote:
>
> Le 18/07/2014 06:30, tony mancill a écrit :
>> I'm adding Dave Beckett to the cc:, as he had put together packages
>> for 2.10.3 and 2.10.4 back in April, and may have interest in the
>> this effort.  Medhi had raised concerns about those packages needing
>> network connectivity - I think maven was pulling in some new
>> dependencies -  so, step 1 is to figure out how many missing
>> dependencies there are.  (If 2.11 has many more new dependencies than
>> 2.10, then maybe we aim for
> 2.10.)
>
> scala doesn't build with Java 8, and I believe this improved with the
> version 2.11. So if we can aim higher this will help with the
> transition.
>

> I had a quick browse on the pkg-scala Debian mailing list and it
> appears the dependencies for 2.11 are fewer than for 2.10 [0]. So
> aiming for that should help all round. There have been a few people
> attempting it so it might be worth inviting them to Debian Java so that
> the work can be co-ordinated.
>
> [0]
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-scala-maint/2014-May/000990.html

Yes

I looked around all the work Fedora did too - which would require
substantial changes to how Debian Java/JVM world deals with maven.  The
fedora work does make a bootstrap package (with some of the jar binaries)
then builds the real scala with that, and doesn't deploy the bootstrap
package for users.  So in the end that's free software.  Sorta...

The scala / sbt world is terribly recursive and complex to detach from
running offline and prevent it from "downloading the internet" when you are
using it.

I'm not actively using Scala itself these days.  I'm more interested in
(simpler) languages and systems that use it to build DSLs and other more
higher level systems.

I'm interested to provide some help in packaging as part of a team; it's
fine with me if that's debian-java.  In my opinion, you need to know
Java/jvm world in order to do scala.

FWIW my test scala packages are at
https://people.debian.org/~dajobe/debian/unstable/

Dave