Re: test rebuild with openjdk-8, build log analysis and bug filings needed

Le 12/09/2014 14:09, Matthias Klose a écrit :
> results from a test rebuild with openjdk-8 as the default can be found at
>
>   https://people.debian.org/~doko/logs/20140912/

Thank you for the rebuild Matthias. I see some new packages since the
last rebuild in April [1]. I'm surprised to see Ant in the list, the
error doesn't seem related to OpenJDK 8. Also I'm a bit puzzled by the
errors on mina2, modello and modello1.4, I have never been able to
reproduce them with pbuilder but it seems they are still there.

> I won't have time to analyse the results and file bug reports until mid October,
> so please go ahead.  plus I'm not sure if the transition would be a good thing
> for jessie. See #760984.  Having openjdk-8 in backports without any commitment
> on security updates seems to be the better option.

What about providing only the JDK in Jessie without the Java plugin?
Currently the target audience for Java 8 are the developers. Oracle is
still distributing Java 7 on its java.com website aimed at the end
users. It would be less critical to provide timely security updates for
a JDK used for development purpose than fixing a JRE executing applets
on the web.

Emmanuel Bourg

[1] http://87.98.165.193/debian/openjdk8-rebuild/logs-failed-jdk8/