Re: openjdk-8 package available for review

Emmanuel Bourg <ebourg@apache.org> writes:

> Hi Felix,

hello Emmanuel,

> Thank you for giving a try.
>
> Le 01/05/2014 18:27, Felix Natter a écrit :
>
>> I am having a small issue with the current git version:
>> If I download via "debian/rules get-orig-source", and then
>> "dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc" I get:
>>
>> Extracting the sources...
>> tar -xf jdk8u-*.tar.xz
>> tar: jdk8u-*.tar.xz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
>> tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>> make: *** [stamps/unpack] Error 2
>> dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2
>
> I think you forgot to extract the upstream tarball in the current directory.

Indeed, sorry.

Just one note: for me, the upstream tarball (downloaded by debian/rules
get-orig-source) contains a directory "openjdk8":
$ tar -tzf openjdk-8_8u5-b13.orig.tar.gz
openjdk8/
openjdk8/jdk8u-jdk8u5-b13.tar.xz
openjdk8/aarch64-port-jdk8-b132.tar.xz

Thus, after extracting openjdk-8_8u5-b13.orig.tar.gz in . (the directory
containing 'debian'), I had to move its contents (two tarballs) from
./openjdk8 to . [1]
--> maybe this should be mentioned in README.source?

[1] it also wouldn't help if I had extracted the orig tarball in the
parent of the clone directory, as the clone directory is named
'openjdk-8' (not 'openjdk8') by default.

>> Another question: Is it sufficient to point "update-java-alternatives"
>> to openjdk-8 in order to use it to build and run subsequent packages
>> (that build-depend on default-jdk and depend on default-jre)?
>
> To build with Java 8 you have to change the JAVA_HOME variable. It's
> defined in every debian/rules file and usually points to
> /usr/lib/jvm/default-java. update-java-alternatives doesn't change the
> VM linked to this path, you have to change debian/rules or install a
> modified version of default-jdk:
>
> http://87.98.165.193/debian/java-common/

Thanks for the explanation.

Cheers and Best Regards,