Re: openjdk-8 package available for review

On 05/01/2014 10:05 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Le 01/05/2014 18:27, Felix Natter a écrit :

>> Another question: Is it sufficient to point "update-java-alternatives"
>> to openjdk-8 in order to use it to build and run subsequent packages
>> (that build-depend on default-jdk and depend on default-jre)?
>
> To build with Java 8 you have to change the JAVA_HOME variable. It's
> defined in every debian/rules file and usually points to
> /usr/lib/jvm/default-java. update-java-alternatives doesn't change the
> VM linked to this path, you have to change debian/rules or install a
> modified version of default-jdk:
>
> http://87.98.165.193/debian/java-common/

Given that we're 6 months from the freeze, and just 4 months from the
deadline for any new transitions [1], is it reasonable to target
uploading a new java-common to experimental that depends on openjdk-8 in
the next month or so?

Cheers,
tony

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/05/msg00000.html