Re: RFS: libcommons-collections4-java (new package) - [UPLOADED]

On 09/17/2013 01:13 AM, Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> Hi Tony,
>
> Thank you for the review.
>
> I used the SVN repository for this package because the other Apache
> Commons packages are there, that was just a matter of consistency.
> Likewise I used Git for the tomcat8 package since tomcat7 is already Git
> based.
>
> Regarding the ease of use I'd argue that SVN has one less step, because
> debcheckout brings the source tarball automatically once the package is
> in the archive. This doesn't happen with Git based packages, I have to
> run git-buildpackage first to generate the tarball. I can't run debuild
> out of the box.
>
> The one thing I appreciate with the Git based packages is the ability to
> clean quickly the working directory when debian/rules clean doesn't work
> as expected. git stash or git checkout and I'm done. With SVN packages I
> have to delete everything but the debian directory, extract the upstream
> tarball and move the files up one directory. For packages that don't
> clean properly that's really annoying.
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

Hi Emmanuel,

The package has been uploaded.  svn-buildpackage wasn't able to create a
tag, so you may want to do that if you keep the package in /svn/pkg-java/.

It sounds like we're optimizing for different work-flows.  I try to
exclusively build with git-buildpackage in a chroot, hence I get the
tarball "for free."

Cheers,
tony