Re: snakeyaml

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the source [1]! I'm sending this mail also to debian-java,
so that anyone can correct me or send their ideas on the matter.

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Stefan Denker <Stefan+Debian@dn-kr.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 04:34:21PM +0100, Andrew Ross wrote:
>> On 17/08/13 12:27, Hilko Bengen wrote:
>>> * Eugene Zhukov:
>>> It was just uploaded -- I am not aware if Stefan put it into a publicly
>>> available git repository.
>
> Sorry, not yet. My workspace revolves around my private subversion
> repository, so I used that almost automatically.
>
>>> If you are interested, I can send you the .debian.tar.gz.
>
> I am going to setup a repository on github shortly. There's much more
> attention to snakeyaml than I anticipated. :-)
>
>> I was just comparing the contents of your .deb to the one I produced,
>> and I notice that you don't have a versionless jar link in
>> /usr/share/java (which is very useful for dependent packages, otherwise
>> you have to update your classpath with each new version),
>
> Yes, this is an oversight on my part. I forwarded Hilko a patch so this
> will be included soon.
>
>> and that there
>> seems to be something odd about your
>> /usr/share/maven-repo/org/yaml/debian/ folder, in that the files within
>> should have debian in place of the version number, but don't appear to.
>
> This folder is just plain wrong, since snakeyamls artifact-ID is
> missing. I also corrected that.
>
> Concerning the debian folder... I haven't been able to find
> documentation for this. Do you have a pointer for me?

The folder structure created under maven-repo is wrong. There should be
/usr/share/maven-repo/org/yaml/snakeyaml/1.x/
not
/usr/share/maven-repo/org/yaml/snakeyaml/debian/
in addition to /usr/share/maven-repo/org/yaml/snakeyaml/1.12/
I don't have a documentation pointer (anyone else has?), but take a
look at any other package with similar version e.g. JUnit.

>> Has something gone wrong in the invocation of the maven-debian-helper tools?
>
> maven-debian-helpers don't.
> I tried mh_make on three different packages, they failed every time. I
> tried to debug them, but never got far. So I patched the pom myself
> using quilt.

You are better off getting snakeyaml packaged with mh_make to avoid
those kind of errors like mentioned above. Take a look at [2]. Plus it
makes packaging easier to maintain e.g. d/rules file is almost empty!
I successfully packaged several packages with mh_make and I'd say
maven-debian-helper is getting better with every upgrade.

I also think that soname of this package should be libsnakeyaml-java
not libyaml-snake-java because of [3] and [4].

[1] https://github.com/denkerszaf/snakeyaml-debian
[2] http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-java/snakeyaml.git;a=summary
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soname
[4] http://code.google.com/p/snakeyaml/