Re: Frustration with trying to build Debian packages from Maven-based sources

Le 21/03/2013 21:47, Hilko Bengen a écrit :

> Looking entirely from the Debian perspective, I'd have to say that this
> is totally backwards and can't be used. That perspective is flawed, but,
> well, it's my starting point...

Thank you for taking the time to look into jdeb.

My reasoning is the following:
- The binary package must be built from the source
- This is currently done with a fairly sophisticated make file
- We are free to use the build tools we want (is that correct?)
- So Maven or Ant could be used instead
- Java developers let jdeb build their packages (with Ant or Maven)

Would that work? You still have a proper source package, but the hard
work is delegated to Maven/Ant.

> I just realized that jdeb is a plugin I immediately disabled when first
> trying to build elasticsearch. (I was going to do put together the
> source package myself after all.) Now... what if one could automatically
> use the bits of information that are put into the .deb packages by jdeb
> as a starting point / template for a "proper" source package?
> Descriptions and install paths come to mind...

Most of the information used by jdeb is actually pulled from the POM, so
that doesn't help much. But the maintainer scripts and the configuration
files could be reused.

In my opinion the main "selling point" of jdeb is to let Java developers
take care of the packaging of their own applications or libraries with a
tool close to their current tool chain (Maven or Ant). They don't have
to learn all the subtleties of the Debian packaging tools. That's an
opportunity to distribute the load of packaging Java softwares for
Debian over a broad range of developers instead of relying on a small
set of experts.

Emmanuel Bourg