Re: Frustration with trying to build Debian packages from Maven-based sources

* Emmanuel Bourg:

> Le 18/03/2013 23:42, Hilko Bengen a écrit :
>
>> A software developer who wants to use Maven as a build tool on Debian
>> and considers himself "a mere user" of the distribution should find that
>> the distribution is not working against but for him. And It must be easy
>> for a newcomer to turn Maven-based projects into Debian packages.
>
> I'd like to mention the jdeb project that creates a Debian binary
> package from a Maven based project (I also happen to contribute to this
> project):
>
> https://github.com/tcurdt/jdeb

Looking entirely from the Debian perspective, I'd have to say that this
is totally backwards and can't be used. That perspective is flawed, but,
well, it's my starting point...

I just realized that jdeb is a plugin I immediately disabled when first
trying to build elasticsearch. (I was going to do put together the
source package myself after all.) Now... what if one could automatically
use the bits of information that are put into the .deb packages by jdeb
as a starting point / template for a "proper" source package?
Descriptions and install paths come to mind...

Cheers,
-Hilko