Re: use of json.org in biojava3-ws

On 29/05/12 14:17, Andreas Tille wrote:
On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 02:03:27PM +0200, Niels Thykier wrote:
On 2012-05-29 13:59, Olivier Sallou wrote:
Hi, biojava3 makes use of json.org library. this library is not
packaged in  Debian. After a google, I saw old posts saying that
library is (was?) not compliant regarding its license [0].
Though, after a quick look on their web site I do not see any
restriction.

Can anyone tell me is something wrong with their code for not
being packaged?

[0] http://www.json.org/license.html

Olivier

""" The Software shall be used for Good, not Evil. """

Fails DFSG#5 or DFSG#6.

Not to mention "evil" is not defined, so it makes it hard to
figure out whether "we are doing evil or not".

I'd call this an "over-picky" interpretation of something that rather
qualifies as a joke rather than a license which can be dealt with in
court (disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, just try to apply common
sense.)

FWIW, FTP-masters already rejected packages because their license had
the "to be used for good, not evil" bit. So there is at least one side
that it is not taking it as a joke. Upstream should remove that clause
to comply with the DFSG terms.

Kind Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي