Re: New package maintainer (assistant)

Felix Natter:
> I have I couple of questions regarding this page:
>
> - "Contrary to subversion the upstream code SHOULD be imported"
> => does that mean that I can forget about debian/rules' get-orig-source
> target since I will be including e.g. SimplyHTML_src_0_16_05.tar.gz as
> simplyhtml_0.16.05.orig.tar.gz in the repo anyway?
> (on the other hand, I have seen a debian/watch in e.g. gnuplot.git on
> alioth, so I'm not sure)
get-orig-source might still be a nice to have for the maintainer to download
the most current version. However it's not really necessary anymore. You
download (and verify) the tarball once and commit it to the repository with
pristine-tar. Are you familiar with pristine-tar?

> - "You MAY skip adding a get-orig-source target in debian/rules if you
> create the upstream/VERSION tag directly in git without any intermediate
> tarball."
> => does this also apply if I don't build from git but from an upstream
> source tarball (see above)?
If there's a useful upstream tarball then I prefer to build from it.

> - Concerning the conversion svn->git:
>
>   - In order to create a new package repo or convert a svn package repo,
>     I only need to do this:
>       git clone fnatter-guest@git.debian.org:/git/pkg-java/pkg-java.git [1]
>     but NOT get the team packages using "mr checkout", right?
No. There shouldn't be any git repo called pkg-java. You need to convert the
old svn packaging repo to git with git-svn, probably also using an authors
file, ssh into git.alioth.org, create a git repo and push the converted git
repo.

>   - the authors file: if I convert the freeplane package
>     (svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/freeplane) I only need an
>     authors file with those authors that are in freeplane's "svn log",
>     right?
yes.

>     What do I do with old contributors whose email address I cannot find,
>     e.g. "ewl-guest", "nomadium-guest"?
Investigate if you're as obsessed as I'm or leave it as it. The alioth web
interface might help:
https://alioth.debian.org/users/ewl-guest/

>    Is the following correct (more or less, some cds may be necessary)
>    for converting the freeplane package?
>
>      $ git clone fnatter-guest@git.debian.org:/git/pkg-java/pkg-java.git
No. Please ask Ludovic Claude to document what the purpose of this pkg-java
repo is (git repo description file, wiki). I don't know.
>      $ cd pkg-java
>      $ ./setup-repository freeplane
It might be useful to have such a setup-repository script. I made one myself
in my homedir on alioth. But there isn't one in the pkg-java repo.

>      # this will create a local git repo:
>      $ git svn clone  --authors-file=/tmp/pkg-java-authors --no-metadata \
>        --trunk=trunk/freeplane \
>        --tags=tags/freeplane \
>        svn+ssh://fnatter-guest@svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/
sounds good.
>      $ cd freeplane
>      $ git remote add origin
> git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/pkg-java/freeplane.git
> $ git push --tags -u origin master
git-svn doesn't convert the tags properly. This is my script:

#!/bin/sh
for branch in `git branch -r`; do
    if [ `echo $branch | egrep "tags/.+$"` ]; then
        version=`basename $branch`
        subject=`git log -1 --pretty=format:"%s" $branch`
        GIT_COMMITTER_DATE=`git log -1 --pretty=format:"%ci" $branch` \
            git tag -f -m "$subject" "debian/$version" "$branch^"

        git branch -d -r $branch
    fi
done

maybe copied from here? http://gitready.com/advanced/2009/02/16/convert-git-
svn-tag-branches-to-real-tags.html

> [1] It should be documented in the wiki that you need to use
> 'https://alioth.debian.org/account/editsshkeys.php'
> (pasting ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub in the textbox) in order to be able
> to clone 'fnatter-guest@git.debian.org:/git/pkg-java/pkg-java.git'.
> Do you want me to add this (if so, how can I get write access)?
I think you can just create an account on the debian wiki. Document every
problem you encounter!

You'd do me a great favour to learn about the svn to git migration stuff, help
documenting it in the wiki and help converting repos. It's one of my personal
wish to have most debian packages maintained in git.

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro