Re: New package maintainer (assistant)

Thomas Koch <thomas@koch.ro> writes:

hello Thomas,

> Felix Natter:
>> hi,
>>
>> I'm working on the freeplane-1.2.20 package with Cédric Pineau, and I
>> would like to have commit access (will ask before committing anything)
>> to svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/ (for freeplane and
>> simplyhtml-freeplane packages).
>
> Maybe you'd like to use Git?

Yeah, I like git much more!

> http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git
> http://wiki.debian.org/Java/JavaGit

I have I couple of questions regarding this page:

- "Contrary to subversion the upstream code SHOULD be imported"
=> does that mean that I can forget about debian/rules' get-orig-source
target since I will be including e.g. SimplyHTML_src_0_16_05.tar.gz as
simplyhtml_0.16.05.orig.tar.gz in the repo anyway?
(on the other hand, I have seen a debian/watch in e.g. gnuplot.git on
alioth, so I'm not sure)

- "You MAY skip adding a get-orig-source target in debian/rules if you
create the upstream/VERSION tag directly in git without any intermediate
tarball."
=> does this also apply if I don't build from git but from an upstream
source tarball (see above)?

- Concerning the conversion svn->git:

  - In order to create a new package repo or convert a svn package repo,
    I only need to do this:
      git clone fnatter-guest@git.debian.org:/git/pkg-java/pkg-java.git [1]
    but NOT get the team packages using "mr checkout", right?

  - the authors file: if I convert the freeplane package
    (svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/trunk/freeplane) I only need an
    authors file with those authors that are in freeplane's "svn log",
    right?
    What do I do with old contributors whose email address I cannot find,
    e.g. "ewl-guest", "nomadium-guest"?

   Is the following correct (more or less, some cds may be necessary)
   for converting the freeplane package?

     $ git clone fnatter-guest@git.debian.org:/git/pkg-java/pkg-java.git
     $ cd pkg-java
     $ ./setup-repository freeplane
     # this will create a local git repo:
     $ git svn clone  --authors-file=/tmp/pkg-java-authors --no-metadata \
       --trunk=trunk/freeplane \
       --tags=tags/freeplane \
       svn+ssh://fnatter-guest@svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-java/
     $ cd freeplane
     $ git remote add origin git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/pkg-java/freeplane.git
     $ git push --tags -u origin master

[1] It should be documented in the wiki that you need to use
'https://alioth.debian.org/account/editsshkeys.php'
(pasting ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub in the textbox) in order to be able
to clone 'fnatter-guest@git.debian.org:/git/pkg-java/pkg-java.git'.
Do you want me to add this (if so, how can I get write access)?

Of course I will talk to Cedric and ask here before actually
converting/pushing anything ;-)

Thanks!
--
Felix Natter