Re: Java Policy: /usr/share/java vs. /u/s/maven-repo

  Hi,

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Damien Raude-Morvan <drazzib@drazzib.com> wrote:
>> Le 04/08/2012 09:59, Thomas Koch a écrit :
>>> do you think we should change the java policy and relax the requirement
>>> install java libraries to /usr/share/java in favour of
>>> /usr/share/maven-repo?
>>>
>>> At least I'd like to see a very strong recommends to install to /u/s/m-r.
>>> feel like having filled a dozen bugs against java libraries that did not
>>> honour
>>> the debian maven repo but on which I depended.
>>
>> I don't think we should add in our policy a strong dependency on a build
>> system and the paths it expects. It used to be ant, it is now Maven, it
>> might change in the future.
>>
>> I would prefer to keep /usr/share/java. It is not tied to a specific tool.
>

> I also support this: /usr/share/maven-repo is only an addition to
> /usr/share/java and not a replacement.
>
> IIRC, Debian Java Policy actually require versionned JAR (ie. real file) to
> be installed into /usr/share/java and we should keep this.

  That said, nothing stops requesting or requiring packages to install
versioned or versionless symlinks in /usr/share/maven-repo.

  BTW, why /usr/share/maven-repo isn't simply a symlink to
/usr/share/java ? Would it break something ? (I'm maven-naive).

  Cheers,

      Vincent