Re: Java Policy: /usr/share/java vs. /u/s/maven-repo

On 08/04/2012 01:48 PM, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
>   Hi,

>>> I don't think we should add in our policy a strong dependency on a build
>>> system and the paths it expects. It used to be ant, it is now Maven, it
>>> might change in the future.
>>>
>>> I would prefer to keep /usr/share/java. It is not tied to a specific tool.
>>

>> I also support this: /usr/share/maven-repo is only an addition to
>> /usr/share/java and not a replacement.
>>
>> IIRC, Debian Java Policy actually require versionned JAR (ie. real file) to
>> be installed into /usr/share/java and we should keep this.
>
>   That said, nothing stops requesting or requiring packages to install
> versioned or versionless symlinks in /usr/share/maven-repo.
>
>   BTW, why /usr/share/maven-repo isn't simply a symlink to
> /usr/share/java ? Would it break something ? (I'm maven-naive).

/usr/share/maven-repo has a more complicated layout than /usj, so a
simply symlink won't do.  I like to think of the maven-repo as a
namespace/catalog, or view, on top of the actual library of JARs found
in /usj.

+1 for keeping the actual JAR files in /u/s/java.  I think this makes it
easier to find them (for non-mavenized toolsets).

But also +1 for Thomas' proposed policy update regarding JARs available
in public maven repositories and making those artifacts available in
/usr/share/maven-repo.

tony