Re: Change in default behaviour in maven-debian-helper

Hi Ludovic

On 21/02/12 22:08, Ludovic Claude wrote:
> The new behaviour of maven-debian-helper seems more correct. I
> think that for most cases, you explicitely add --java-lib option to
> publish your jar in /usr/share/java, but there are cases where a
> jar is private, for example Ant or Eclipse plugins. In such cases,
> you can create a link to a custom location (with the third argument
> to mh_installjar) or install the jar in that custom location
> (using - --dest-jar=<path>) and let mh_installjar create a link for
> the jar in the Maven repository.
>
> Please file bug reports for those packages which are broken by
> this change, I tried to fix such packages some time ago but there
> are still some problems in packages I don't know.

It would be nice the m-d-h made more intelligent decisioning on
whether to install to /usr/share/java or not.

For example, if the binary package name that m-d-h is targetting is
named libXXX-java, it would make sense to automatically install to
/usr/share/java.  If the package is not a libXXX-java package then it
a) does not want to install to usj or b) has to do it explicitly with
- --java-lib.

Lintian checks that libXXX-java packages install jar files to
/usr/share/java - I don't think mdh should be breaking that rule!

I'd be happy to work up a patch to implement this functionality (feel
it might be a better spend of time rather than continually finding
packages which don't use --java-lib).

Thoughts?

Cheers

James