Re: Apache Solr

Mat Scales:
> Hello all,
>
> I am interested in getting Apache Solr up-to-date in Debian.
> [...]
> Does any one have any comments?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mat

Hi Mat,

I've done 2 updates of the Solr package when I needed it for my last job. I
also packaged some other things from the ASF. During this I really got shocked
about the cluelessness of ASF people about many things that we in Debian take
for granted.
Me and Jan-Pascal van Best agreed that it may not be worth the effort to
maintain Solr in Debian. Those who need it may be better served by just
grabbing the upstream jar.
On the other hand there's only hope to get some sanity into the ASF if people
constantly remind the ASF about good practice. (sign releases with keys that
are connected with the web-of-trust, don't change your project structure with
every second release, care at least a bit about code quality, give a voice to
people not only to companies, provide reliable and modern tools, don't rely on
proprietary tools for the dev process)

So I don't see anyone holding you back to take care of Solr in whatever way
you like.

Good luck,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro