Re: package Apache James for Debian

2011/8/25 Ludovic Claude <ludovic.claude@laposte.net>:

> On 24/08/2011 11:41, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
>> 2011/8/23 ddave Dave <ddave1403@gmail.com>:

>> Hello Dave,
>>
>> Cool, nice to see you are interested. Here is the way I see things going;
>>
>> 1. See what are the dependencies and first seek those that are atomic
>> (don't depend on any other library). They will be the first things to
>> package and I expect them to be small libraries, pretty easy to
>> package.
>> 2. Try to see what modifications to the maven pom can be made to
>> support Debian builds and if possible integrate them upstream. This
>> should not intrude on the normal way development works. Maybe create
>> even a maven plugin that should ease this task.
>> 3. Build on those until we manage to get everything in.
>>
>> Simple, no :> !
>>
>> If you want something more specific, I think we will probably begin
>> with jSieve [0] or jDKIM [1]. Mime4j 0.6  is already packaged and you
>> can see how from [2].
>>

>> [0] http://james.apache.org/jsieve/index.html
>> [1] http://james.apache.org/jdkim/index.html
>> [2] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/java/libapache-mime4j-java
>>
>> p.s. I am busy with some other projects so I don't expect things to go
>> wild here. I hope to get James in a few months, with your help maybe
>> faster. Don't hesitate to ask if you have problems. You can find me on
>> James dev list for James related stuff. You can even send me private
>> messages but for packaging stuff it's best if it is public.
>>
>> Regards,
>
> Hello,
>
> This page should help you to get started with packaging a Maven project
> in Debian:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenDebianHelper
>
> I'm working on improving the documentation for this package, so any
> feedback or questions will be useful.
>
> Ludovic

Hello Ludovic and thanks for the tip.

I think that the only show stopper will be that James 3 requires Maven
3 to build. And from what I saw, Maven 3 is not in Debian right now.
Also the status is unclear. Do you know anything about that?

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/Maven3

--
Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com/