Re: How to package Nuxeo DM, a Java EE application, in Debian

Bonjour Stéfane :)

Le mardi 08 février 2011 20:46:27, Stefane Fermigier a écrit :
> On Feb 8, 2011, at 8:14 PM, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> > My point is not to discourage you or express scorn or whichever
> > negative view on Nuxeo, but just to state the sine qua none conditions
> > for a package to enter Debian.
>
> Out of curiosity, how many large Java application are currently packaged in
> Debian ?
>
> I couldn't find even one personally, on Debian 6.0:
>
> root@gange# apt-cache search liferay
[...]

As an example, let's talk about Liferay as I've personnaly started working on
Liferay 6.x package [1]. My work is currenty stalled by some serious legal
issues on Liferay dependencies...

=> Liferay depends on "Java Content Repository 2.0" (like Nuxeo I bet) : this
API is clearly non-free for Debian (Debian Free Software Guidelines - DFSG) as
"Day Licence" doesn't allow modification... [2].

Apache Software Foundation has currently a special exception [3] to their
guideline for this particular API : I don't think Debian is ready to sacrifice
its DFSG to include something like that in our main archive...
I do not even understand how the JCP could accept such a license for such
essential component of Java ecosystem...

> etc. So it seems either that nobody cares about getting these fine (and
> popular) applications into Debian, or it's just too hard to do given the
> current set of policies.

I *do* care about those software but Debian is not just another "AppStore for
.deb packages". Like we care about our users, but we also care about free
software, licences, integration, security...

I see three way of handling all this :

1) we manage to package all *versionned* dependencies of Nuxeo. Doesn't seem a
viable solution : are we supposed to include 13 versions of Log4J or 8
versions of Commons Lang, each for one application in Debian ?

2) We distribute Nexuo with "binary JARs" in non-free repository (which seems
a little sad for such an wonderful free software product...)

3) We use already existing Java librairies packages in Debian and packages
*all* missing librairies. Nuxeo will then use shared librairies instead of
embedded one. But this will break existing QA done by Nuxeo internally...

Anyone with better ideas ?

[1] http://bugs.debian.org/569819
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/573482
[3] http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#no-modification