Re: How to package Nuxeo DM, a Java EE application, in Debian

[CCing you as I don't know if you have subscribed to debian-java]

  Hello,

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 6:34 PM, Julien CARSIQUE <jcarsique@nuxeo.com> wrote:
> About versions and shared resources, sharing libraries is nice but not
> always reliable and, tell me if I'm wrong, I guess a lot of Debian
> applications are bringing their own unshared libraries.

  Actually, you are wrong here.

  Maybe to clarify a bit the context, here is how a package is
admitted (the first time) into the Debian archives. It is reviewed by
a small team of volunteers called FTP masters. Their job is to keep
the archive legal and easy to maintain. What they do is the following:

  * they review the copyright and license status of all the code
uploaded. Any sourceless compiled code gets a refusal. There's no way
around that.
  * they try to minimize duplicated code in Debian. The Debian
Security Team keeps tracks of *all* duplicated code in Debian. To make
their job easy, we as maintainers keep the amount of duplicated code
to the strictest minimum. I don't know how many cases of duplicated
code there currently are in the archive, but I'd estimate it to a few
dozens (please correct me if I'm wrong !), for a total of about 15000
source packages. So duplicated code is a no-go.

  I must insist on the fact that this policy is strictly enforced.
Even if we, as Debian Developers, wanted to get such a package in, it
simply would never make it. And for good reasons too.

  More information about this can be found on the Reject FAQ:

http://ftp-master.debian.org/REJECT-FAQ.html

  If you want to get Nuxeo into Debian, which is a worthy goal, great
effort will be needed to package *all* Nuxeo runtime or buildtime
dependencies.

  My point is not to discourage you or express scorn or whichever
negative view on Nuxeo, but just to state the sine qua none conditions
for a package to enter Debian.

  Cheers, and good luck !

      Vincent