Re: How to package Nuxeo DM, a Java EE application, in Debian

Hi Julian,

Others have covered the constraints for getting your package into
Debian. There is one possible alternative you might consider if the work
to package into Debian is too time consuming. You could publish your own
apt repository containing your package. This would require users to add
your repository to their list in order to install your package, but once
they'd done that then updates would be handled in the same was as for
any other package.

Because you would host the archive, you'd be responsible for ensuring
legality of your packages, so making sure all the jars have source
available, etc. It's not an ideal solution, as users might expect to be
able to get all the source by downloading the source package, but
instead they'd find the source package contains lots of jar files. It
would let you get something out there though, and in time you could
separately package your dependencies.

I hope this gives you an alternative, although I also hope you'll
consider making the effort to get your packages into the main Debian
distribution.

Thanks,
Andy