First steps with maven and Java packaging

Dear all Debian Javaers

First of all let me state my SKILLS:

-  Java:  MEDIUM
-  Maven:  NEWBIE, although I have gone through several tutorials and
           docs [1].
-  Ant (if applicable):  NONE
-  Debian Packaging:  MEDIUM-HIGH.  Lots of experience backporting,
                      still not much creating new packages.

What I want to do
-----------------

Package, in Debian Squeeze the esper library of CodeHaus

	http://esper.codehaus.org/

in particular the 4.0.0 version available through SVN.

http://svn.codehaus.org/esper/esper/tags/release_4.0.0

and more specifically the main esper subdirectory.

http://svn.codehaus.org/esper/esper/tags/release_4.0.0/esper

Where I am now
--------------

On upstream:

*  Using upstream sources and invoking "mvn jar:jar", I get the .jar
   file without problems.

*  If I do a "mvn package" o "mvn install" the tests get execute which
   require a working mysql setting which I don't have (and would not
   like to set it up right now).

On Debian package:

*  I created a control file, a changelog and a basic rules file taken
   from http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenBuilder

THE PROBLEMS
------------

When I issue "debuild" I get TWO MISSING DEPENDENCIES:  Junit and MySQL

Missing:
----------
1) junit:junit:jar:debian

  Path to dependency:
  	1) com.espertech:esper:jar:4.0.0
  	2) junit:junit:jar:debian

2) mysql:mysql-connector-java:jar:debian

  Path to dependency:
  	1) com.espertech:esper:jar:4.0.0
  	2) mysql:mysql-connector-java:jar:debian

About Junit:

I don't understand why Junit can be missing since I have both junit and
junit4 installed.

ii  junit   3.8.2-4   Automated testing framework for Java
un  junit-doc                         <ninguna>
junit4      4.8.2-2   JUnit regression test framework for Java

both show up at /usr/share/maven/repo

About mysql-java:

It is true the libmysql-java does not provide any POM content.  But on
the other side it is not needed for building.

WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU (finally)
--------------------------------------

*  Is there a way to disable any test phase in the package?  I would
   like to set the property

	maven.test.skip = true

   but I don't know where, in the debian/ directory place this command.

*  Is there an easy way to generate a POM for libmysql-java?.  Should I
   file a bug on this package?.  But I guess it will not be the only
   one not providing POM content.

*  Why do I have dependency problems with Junit?.  This seems to be a
   very common package that should work well with Maven.

*  I am still using maven-debian-helper 1.1 from squeeze.  Should I
   backport the 1.4 version in Sid and Wheezy?

Thanks for your time,

	Miguel

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Maven
    http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/index.html