Re: maven2 and debhelper

On 2011-04-07 00:02, Ludovic Claude wrote:

> Hello Wouter,

Hey

> CDBS is not so 'yuck', it works really well for building Java packages.
> DH 7 is more trendy, but it's really a question of taste.
> You can try today to run mh_make (from maven-debian-helper package) on
> the sources of your project, it will guide you (find missing
> dependencies) and produce most of the packaging automatically. It's not
> perfect, but works reasonably well on 50% of packages.
>
> Anyway, I have planned to support DH 7 in maven-debian-helper. If you
> want to help then that would be great, as I'm not fond of writting Perl
> scripts. I would need help about how to define a new build system in DH
> 7. The build process using Maven is not trivial, there are several steps
> and possible alternatives:

I would propose to use a DH Sequence rather than a build system.  Mainly
the greatest advantage of build systems are that they are auto-chosen,
but this is disabled for third party build systems, so...

> - debian/PACKAGE.poms and debian/maven.rules files can be automatically
> generated if they are not present using mh_lspoms. It's ok if this
> functionality is not kept with DH 7, as there are better tools for the
> job and it's better to force the packager to do it and check for
> correctness.
> - the pom.xml files are patched using mh_patchpoms
> - the repository located in /usr/share/maven-repo is copied locally
> (more exactly symlinks are created locally) using  copy-repo.sh
> - clean target: mvn clean is called
> - build target: mvn package is called
> - install target: mvn debian:install is called
> - at the end of the build, mh_unpatchpoms is called and scaffold files
> are removed.
>
> If there is a documentation package, then mvn javadoc:jar is called,
> followed by mvn debian:install-doc.
> There are quite a few options to those calls, and they can either be
> defined by the user, or infered from the defaults and the structure of
> the package and a few conventions. I'll let you have a look at
> /usr/share/cdbs/1/class/maven.mk and maven-vars.mk for details.
>
> So if you have any expertise with DH 7 or Perl, then please help me
> here! Note that I have already made another tool DH 7 compliant, that's
> maven-repo-helper and it can be used on simple Maven projects such as
> libraries but it uses Ant instead of Maven as the build tool.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludovic

[...]

Personally I do have some experience, but I have quite a few things on
my plate.  I fear it may be a while before I can dedicate myself to this
task (especially with my lack of maven background).

~Niels