maven2 and debhelper

Hi,

One of my packages, beid, has been reimplemented[1], part of it in Java.
This hasn't been released yet, but will be fairly soon, and then I'll
have to package it for Debian. They're using maven2 as their build
system.

As I understand it, there's some support for building maven-using
packages with some wrapper scripts and some cdbs magic, but no debhelper
support yet. IMAO, cdbs is of yuck, so I'm not interested in that.
Instead, I'd be happy to help with implementing debhelper support for
maven (be this debhelper 'dh' mode, or plain debhelper where reasonable
and necessary). Not sure whether I can maintain that long term (after
all, beid upstream may choose to reimplement everything in haskell next
time around for all I know), but I'd be happy with getting my hands
dirty, initially.

Any pointers?

[1] Again, *sigh*. My advice: never ever (*ever*) volunteer maintaining
    a package of which upstream is a government body. Oh well.

the following formula:

pi zz a