Re: How to package Nuxeo DM, a Java EE application, in Debian

On 09/02/2011 14:50, Scott Howard wrote:
>> BTW, here's what geogebra's download page
>> (http://www.geogebra.org/cms/en/download) says: "You are free to
>> copy, distribute and transmit GeoGebra for non-commercial
>> purposes".
>>
>> Isn't this a flagrant violation of the DFSG (Item 6, "No
>> Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor") ?
>
> That is a perfect example of how Debian does a "value add" to their
> packages. The full license is at:
> http://www.geogebra.org/download/license.txt and the debian copyright
> is:
> http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/g/geogebra/geogebra_3.2.46.0+dfsg1-1/geogebra.copyright
>
>  Only the installer is CC-BY-SA-NC (which is not DFSG free), so the
> debian maintainer removed the -NC code so the remaining files are
> all GPL-2+ and CC-BY-SA. You can see the +dfsg in the package
> version, indicating that someone did work to make it dfsg. That's why
> we'd need the source code and license for each jar, but situations
> like that are very common.

There is more: in the source codebase there are also some .java files
with a completely non free license. I had to find some replacement code
for them and patch the code in order to fix that.

http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/geogebra/3.2.44.0+dfsg1-2/patch/flanagan_nonfree.diff

I tried to convince upstream that the jarball on their site is not
usable, because it contains code under two non compatible licenses (GPL
and a non free license). They didn't care, so now someone using their
WebStart application could be violating a copyright law. Instead, Debian
version is completely free (unless I've missed something; but I looked
at the code more and more times, so I really hope not).

Giovanni.
--
Giovanni Mascellani <mascellani@poisson.phc.unipi.it>
Pisa, Italy