Re: How to package Nuxeo DM, a Java EE application, in Debian

  Hello,

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Stefane Fermigier <sf@nuxeo.com> wrote:
>> What is not true? The fact that packaging things in Debian is difficult
>> or the fact that it's so because it requires some added value?
>
> No, the fact that it *only* requires "some" added value.
>
> You are requiring *much more*. You are requiring upstream developers to *completely change* their development process, dropping maven to use some non-existing tool, renouncing their QA process, etc.

  This is not what we *require*, as you say.

  We have policies to accept packages into Debian. These policies
arise from the Debian Social Contract. If you want to make
modifications to the Social contract, the correct mailing list is
debian-project. Be warned however that this will most probably lead to
nothing

  I don't see what you're trying to get here. If you want a package
inside the Debian archives, you have to play by Debian rules. The
alternative of providing you own apt repository, which you already do,
is fairly acceptable IMHO. I for one use private repositories for some
free software I wrote, since one of the libraries it depends on is
freely available, and "open source", but its license and copyright
states are at best unclear, and it is rather huge.

  The FTPmaster will *never* accept sourceless JARs. Moreover, all
JARs must be built from the corresponding sources using a well-defined
procedure, so that the debian security team can do its job.

  With that in mind, i wish you a very pleasant day.

      Vincent