Re: [gradle-dev] Re: Gradle and the Debian distribution

Marcus,

Thanks for wading into this.

On Mon, 2010-02-15 at 18:37 +0100, Marcus Better wrote:

> [CC gradle-devel]
>
> Torsten Werner wrote:
> > Cc-ing the debian-java list now. This message is about packaging
> > gradle and gant for Debian and Ubuntu.
> >
> > On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Russel Winder
> > <russel.winder@concertant.com> wrote:
>
> >> So to get Gradle into Debian it seems there has to be an Ant build
> >> without use of Ivy or Maven.
>
> I didn't see the original message, but this seems to be a misconception. We
> should be able to build Gradle with itself, using gradle-wrapper for
> bootstrapping (only).

I would be delighted if this were a misconception.  Given the above it
seems that the following would be allowed by the Debian rules:

1.  Build an instance of Gradle using a downloaded pre-compiled Gradle
Wrapper.  This compiled Gradle cannot be used for packaging as it
depends on a "binary blob", but . . .

2.  Use the newly created compiled Gradle to compile Gradle to show that
there is no dependence on a "binary blob" and create things that can be
packaged . . .

3.  Use this latterly created Gradle as input to the packaging process.

If this is correct, then it would be feasible to get Gradle into Debian
and thence Ubuntu, and then packages (such as Gant, Griffon, etc.) that
rely on Gradle for build could be built without having a special Ant
build.

Hans and/or Adam will almost certainly have to chip in here, but the
problem I see is that the Gradle build specifies specific versions of
the dependencies and these may be different from the instances of these
dependencies in Debian at any given time.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      Partner