repackaging, git, version suffix

With xmlenc[1] and my work on SOLR[2], I filtered out all .jar and
pregenerated docs coming from upstream when importing to GIT. So the upstream
tarball gets repackaged.

Now I saw, that in the eclipse GIT repository[3] there's one tag
upstream/3.5.1 and another one upstream/3.5.1+repack. I don't know, whether
the eclipse package is doing so, but we could standardize on:

- import the upstream tarball as is without filtering to tag upstream/VERSION
- import the upstream tarball again with filtering to tag
upstream/VERSION+SUFFIX

Some questions:
- What is the right SUFFIX? +dfsg is not right IMHO, since it's not related to
unfree stuff. I saw some packages with +ds. What does that mean? Do we need a
suffix at all?
- Should all java stuff be repackaged? For example the xmlenc upstream tarball
contains only one jar and some docs. I could as well have removed these files
during package building.
- For small packages with pristine upstream: When to remove the crap? Should
it be removed by debian/rules (which rule) or by diff.gz?

[1] http://github.com/thkoch2001/pkg-debian-libxmlenc-java
[2] http://github.com/thkoch2001/pkg-debian-solr
[3] http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-java/eclipse.git;a=summary
[4] /usr/share/doc/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-
origtargz

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro

Only for my bookmark:
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/debian/git.html