Re: Active Java packagers

Hi,

* Pantelis Koukousoulas <pktoss@gmail.com> [2009-06-16 08:32]:
> 2) Integrate the eclipse-build system from upstream Eclipse Linux
> Tools Project once it is released. Perhaps help so that it can be
> released sooner.

Yes, we would love some help :) .

> 3) Figure out a filesystem layout for plug-ins. An idea could be to do
> as Fedora does and use e.g., /usr/share/eclipse/<plugin_name> (thus
> staying out of P2's way) or figure out how to integrate apt with P2
> (this will need development of a debian/apt specific "touchpoint" in
> P2-speak, at least as I understand it.

Integrating apt and p2 is going to be difficult.  I've thought about
this a _lot_ and come to the conclusion that it's easier to just use the
dropins mechanism.  Stuff thus go into
/usr/{share,lib}/eclipse/dropins/<feature_name>.

> 4) Figure out how to divide eclipse properly into binary packages.

One of the goals of the Linux Tools/Distros project has always been to
have consistent naming between distros.  I'd love to see this happen.

> 5) Figure out what to do with eclipse's native libraries.

Piece of trivia:  we originally developed the equinox initializer app
because some non-trivial percentage of Debian users had /home mounted
noexec :)  Regardless, splitting out the JNI .sos at install time and
not at runtime is the right thing to do.

> 6) Figure out how to arrange installed eclipse in the filesystem.
> Especially what goes under /usr/lib and what under /usr/share. Things
> are little tricky here (e.g., some architecture-indep stuff may still
> end up under /usr/lib for convenience).

Yes, after years of having a split install and dealing with bugs that
ensued, we took the plunge in Fedora 10 (it might have been Fedora 9, I
can't remember) and put all of the Eclipse SDK (SWT, RCP, Platform, PDE)
into /usr/lib{,64}/eclipse.  While it may waste some disk space, it
greatly simplifies things and diverges less from upstream's layout.

Feel free to pick my brain about any decisions that we've made and
problems we've encountered.  Using eclipse-build is truly the best way
forward for all of us to solve the same problems only once.

Thanks and good luck,

Andrew