Re: Active Java packagers

> About Eclipse, someone (a DD probably) should become the leader and
> dispatch the tasks...

Leader or no leader, the best thing to do right now is to help packaging
the dependencies of Eclipse. Unlike eclipse itself, its dependencies are
typically not complexity monsters or anything and it would really help
if we can "just build" eclipse with the stuff that is in debian main without
having to use the bundled deps or going after dependencies on the
whole wide world :)

The main reason attempts have failed so far is that it takes a lot of
time to do all this work (package dependencies and push them to
main, figure out how to build and package eclipse itself, figure out
how to deal with plugins, try to motivate others to help etc), so
by the time things are in almost a state where results can be
produced, free time runs out.

The less "auxilliary" work it takes (dependencies, build system etc)
the higher the chances of success. The Eclipse Linux Tools project
(lead by the RedHat/Fedora people) is focusing on the build system
problem. There is at least one ubuntu guy focusing on the build problem
too, with a slightly different approach.

If some debianers help by dealing with dependencies, the job becomes
much easier.

I will try to solicit some interest for this on the Greek Code Camp
which will take place in the beginning of July here in Crete.
I might also have some free time in the last 10 days of July in which
case I 'm definitely going to pick up my packaging work (port to
3.5.0 etc)

If dependencies are dealt with by then, that would make my life much
easier and significantly increase the chances of success this time.