Re: Request for review

On Tue Mar 24 18:53, Dominik Smatana wrote:
> > For the dependency on the library we are now requesting that
> > libraries do not depend on runtimes at all.
>
> Fixed in r8112, I think "Debian policy for Java" (
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/java-policy/x105.html )
> should be updated to stop confusing newbie packagers like me :)

Yeah, it's on the list of things to do at debconf.

> > Because we want repeatability you also need to ensure that you always
> > use the same javac to build, no matter what the alternative is. Since
> > you are manually compiling and jaring, may I suggest javahelper, which
> > has a module to do this for you (and also a bunch of other useful
> > things). There is documentation in the javahelper package.

You still don't explicitly set which javac and jar program you are
using. You must use /usr/lib/jvm/default-jdk/bin/javac instead of javac
(or whichever path you are using). Also, I think the recommended depend
is actually default-jdk-builddep (I always forget that).

Things like javahelper make this easy, since you can just set JAVA_HOME
at the top of rules.

> > Current java policy says you should install a versionned jar and a plain
> > symlink in /usr/share/java. I'm unconvinced of the utility of this, but
> > it's what's recommended. javahelper also can do this for you.
>
> TBD, I'm getting myself familiar with javahelper and cdbs, I didn't
> know about these...

Ditto, whether you use javahelper/cdbs (or both, there's a cdbs class
for it now) or not, you should install the jar as png-$version.jar and
then a symlink from png.jar to it.

Looking pretty good though,

Matt

--