Re: Java-Gnome package help

Hello Manu,

On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 01:33:23AM +0530, Manu Mahajan wrote:
> I am using java-gnome(http://java-gnome.sourceforge.net/) for
> development. The packages available in Debian
> (http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&keywords=libgtk-java)
> refer to the old 2.x branch. The java bindings have been re-written
> since 2006 and the current version is 4.0.6

I have started packaging java-gnome 4 as well. If you agree we could work
together on this.

> I've tried to make a package based on the new maintainer's guide and
> other resources on the net. It's my first attempt at making a package so
> it might have errors. It would be great if someone could review my
> package and guide me how to proceed.
>
> I'm sorry if this is the wrong place for posting. I'm not sure of how to
> formally submit the package.
>
> The package and the sources are available at
> http://codepencil.com/projects/java-gnome/package/debian/
> For reference the output of lintian and linda is at
> http://pastebin.com/d594abd6d
>
> I am willing to contribute in any way I can. Thanks for your time.

Your package is a good start; it needs some work.

Here's a quick review:
 * Usually Java packages are co-maintained[1]. That is the Maintainer: is:
   Debian Java maintainers <pkg-java-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
   and you are listed as an Uploader:

 * Usually Java packages rely on cdbs, instead of directly using
   debhelper. Again, there's nothing mandatory, it's just a common
   practice in the Java team. For an example of a simple cdbs-based Java
   package, see libxmlrpc3-java package.

 * I believe the binary packages should be split, just as the glib-java
   package for instance.

 * The build dependencies do not seem very large ; are you sure they are
   enough to build the package? Have you tried compiling it from a
   pbuilder?

 * Why is there a shlibs.local file in your .diff.gz?

If you need help or have questions on these items, feel free to join the
#debian-java IRC channel on irc.debian.org.

I'll have a closer look at your packaging this evening.

Thanks for your work,
Regards,

Thomas

[1] http://pkg-java.alioth.debian.org/