Re: Java Policy [Was: java bytecode / java runtime version mismatch]

On Tue Oct 28 11:15, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> * Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org> [2008-10-28 11:15]:
> > I'm also still convinced we need to mandate the use of Class-Path:
> > entries in manifests to avoid transitions in rdeps when you update
> > your dependencies.
>
> This goes against the Fedora and JPackage guidelines, FWIW.

Yes, and I don't understand a. why they don't like it and b. how they
solve the problem that if program A depends on library B and library B
depends on library C that A needs to explicitly list C in it's classpath
(which it shouldn't) and if B now adds a dependency on library D this
causes a transition requiring a sourceful upload of A to add D to the
classpath. This is a really bad thing.

Matt
--
Matthew Johnson