Re: For those who care about batik

Hi,

I thought that Batik 1.7 is not backwards compatible with Batik 1.6 (I remember vaguely to have issues with this). If I'm right, wouldn't it make sense to have a batik1.7 package name and keep batik (1.6)?

Thanks, Eric

Vincent Fourmond wrote:
  Hello,

  I've done quite a good deal of work to get the newer upstream version
of batik working, and I've picked up quite a few patches from here and
there too (credits given in the changelog). This resulted in an upload
to main/experimental a few days ago, that still has to go through the
NEW queue (contrib to main...), along with an upload to the same place
for xmlgraphics-common.

  The upload is to experimental, because I'm not sure I won't break
reverse dependencies, and also because there are some functionalities
that I did find were not working properly:

  * JPEG output for rasterizer does not seem to work even with sun's
pristine Java
  * I never got squiggle to work (and that was also true for the
previous, very old version).
  * I have no idea of how rdepends should work and how they interact
with batik so I could not check that.

  As I probably lack the skills to deal with that, I would like that
some of you interested in batik (if only because you're one of the
rdepends) check that the newer version works as you expected. Batik is
in the pkg-java SVN repository (check out the QA page).

  If everything is working fine, we should also check if rdepends of
batik could not be moved to main, that would be quite great !

  Thanks in advance to potential helpers ;-) !

	Vincent