Re: Cleanup in .orig.tar.gz or debian/rules?

Onkar Shinde wrote:
On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Florian Grandel <jerico.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Philipp,

I now ask myself, when and were should I replace those libraries:
1. Only in the final debian/jspwiki/ tree (but build with the original
  .jar files)
2. Each time during the debian/rules run
3. Once in the .orig.tar.gz (the download is only availabe as .zip)
I think Debian policy doesn't allow you to depend on pre-built jars even
during build phase.

IMHO you should strip the jars from the original tar directly after download
so that they do not end up in the source package. This is the only way you
can make sure that you'll never (even unknowingly) use non-free prebuilt
binaries.

What is wrong with cleaning up prebuilt jar files in clean target in
debian/rules? If you use this approach you don't have to repack the
upstream tarball every time there is a new version.
You want to completely avoid shipping upstream's bundled jars, since quite often the upstream has a lot more lenient policy towards what they consider 'open source' then what debian considers to be acceptable for redistribution.

Example: Apache Foundation projects and BCL-licensed JARs prior to the drafting of the third party license policy a few years ago.

cheers,
dalibor topic
Is there any policy against this approach? If yes, can you please
point me to it?

Onkar

Dalibor Topic                   Tel: (+49 40) 23 646 738
Java F/OSS Ambassador           AIM: robiladonaim
Sun Microsystems GmbH           Mobile: (+49 177) 2664 192
Nagelsweg 55                    http://openjdk.java.net
D-20097 Hamburg                 mailto:Dalibor.Topic@sun.com
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer