Re: Cleanup in .orig.tar.gz or debian/rules?

On Thu Jul 17 00:36, Philipp Matthias Hahn wrote:

> Also, if I strip those .jar-files from the .orig.tar.gz, do I still need
> to keep their copyright and license-info in debian/copyright?

Hi Philipp,

If not explicit policy then it is the norm (and required if there are
any licence issues as has been mentioned) to repack the tarball.

This happens once before packaging (per-release) and not in the normal
build procedure.

In this case you should change the upstream version (normally by
appending .dfsg, so the tarball would be foo_1.2.3.dfsg.orig.tar.gz, and
the version of the package would be 1.2.3.dfsg-1 etc).

You also must document this stripping process in the copyright file,
but you shouldn't include the licences of the files which have been
removed. A recommended practice is to include a get-orig-source target
in the rules file which can be used to obtain debian source from a
pristine tarball and possibly download the original as well. This helps
document what you have done and makes your life easier for new upstream
releases.

I have provided in the javahelper suite as part of jh_makepkg (which
creates a template package from upstream source) a --clean option which
will guess at which files need to be removed. Obviously, this is just an
aid, you will need to check it has done the right thing.

Matt

--
Matthew Johnson