Re: Cleanup in .orig.tar.gz or debian/rules?

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Florian Grandel <jerico.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Philipp,
>
>> I now ask myself, when and were should I replace those libraries:
>> 1. Only in the final debian/jspwiki/ tree (but build with the original
>>   .jar files)
>> 2. Each time during the debian/rules run
>> 3. Once in the .orig.tar.gz (the download is only availabe as .zip)
>
> I think Debian policy doesn't allow you to depend on pre-built jars even
> during build phase.
>
> IMHO you should strip the jars from the original tar directly after download
> so that they do not end up in the source package. This is the only way you
> can make sure that you'll never (even unknowingly) use non-free prebuilt
> binaries.

What is wrong with cleaning up prebuilt jar files in clean target in
debian/rules? If you use this approach you don't have to repack the
upstream tarball every time there is a new version.
Is there any policy against this approach? If yes, can you please
point me to it?

Onkar