Re: Proper way to specify Java build-dep

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 22:46 +0530, Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> Dear Adam,
>
> On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 12:23:11PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> > Just curious, what will happen regarding testing transitions in the
> > meantime?  And long-term, can I assume that the package will build and
> > transition as soon as the infrastructure is in place, without another
> > upload?
>
> I had to request removal of the packages from those architectures by
> filing a bug against ftp.debian.org, since there seems to be no way to
> get these packages working on those architecures as of now. I guess it
> might not be prudent to wait for the availability of a JDK on these
> architectures now, with the release getting closer.
>
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

Okay, so... back to my original question: what is a package maintainer
supposed to do?  What are the other Java packages doing?  Do we all
specify architectures not including the broken ones?  Or should I bug
debian-release after the required ten days and tell them, "The package
is supposed to transition even though it FTBFS on a bunch of arches, the
debian-java people say so, please make it happen"?

And can someone explain the rationale for disabling Java on a bunch of
architectures very late in the release process, without an alternative
solution in place?

[Please continue to CC me in replies]

Thanks,
-Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/