Re: java dependency substvars and native compilation

On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 02:11:27PM +0100, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> OK, so as an alternative, I have a version which reads the Class-Path:
> variable from the jar. This is rather more efficient as well. I assume
> upstream's build should set this to sensible values and that therefore
> the packaging can just include a call to make or ant then dh_javadeps
> and doesn't need to list them anywhere.
>
> This also solves the problem of 'which jar containing the same class to
> use'; there should never be two packages providing the same jar.
>
> new version at http://mjj29.matthew.ath.cx/dh_javadeps

Setting the Class-Path attribute in the manifest only makes sense for
applications. It doesn't makes sense for libraries. The problem is that
the VM only uses the Class-Path attribute when you execute

  java -jar name.jar

I will be very hard to tell upstreams of libraries to set the Class-Path
attribute correctly.

We could put into the policy that we need to make sure the Class-Path
attribute has a sensible value. I havent thought about this deeply yet.

Cheers,
Michael
--
 .''`.  | Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de>