Re: java dependency substvars and native compilation

Matthew Johnson wrote:
> On Wed May 02 16:54, Michael Koch wrote:
>>> Hmm, could you let me know what the example was (it worked on my pretty
>>> simple example)
>> I created debian/test and put ant.jar into it. Then I executed
>>
>> dh_javadeps -p test
>>
>> As output I got this:
>>
>> xargs: unmatched einfache quote; by default quotes are special to xargs
>> unless you use the -0 option
>
> Hmm, odd. I've just updated the one at that URL in case I rewrote it and
> the following works for me:
>
>  mkdir -p debian/test
>  cp /usr/share/java/ant-1.6.jar debian/test
>  touch debian/control
>  dh_javadeps -p test
>  cat debian/test.substvars
>
>> I think about code paths that are only used when you use certain
>> features of a program. When the dependency itself has a long list of
>> depdencies it can make sense to not hardly depend on it when its only
>> needed/used by 0.1% of the users of a program.
>
> and you assume the program nicely handles this case? I think anything
> which causes the JVM to throw an exception failing to load a class
> requires a depends. (not that my code above does this, it's a bit of a
> hack and is likely to over-depend)
>
>> No, thats no bug. E.g. we ship different versions of the servlet
>> specification in Debian. ASM is another example. We have currently two
>> major versions in Debian. A third is coming soon. All have similar to
>> equal class names (with sometimes different APIs). Thats no bug. Thats
>> common practice in Java-land.
>
> Hmm, that feels totally wrong to me. Possibly a --prefer= parameter?
>
> Matt

Thanks for submitting this idea - you've reawakened my interest in
compiling a "Java Packagers Wishlist"!

I think the idea of writing a program to determine Jar dependencies is a
good one, but I'm not sure it can ever be fully automatic, for the
reasons Michael has given above. As such I don't think it would be
appropriate to make it a debhelper dh_xxxxxx command - these are
expected to work flawlessly without the need for any user "tweaking".

But I think your idea would work very well if integrated into "dh_make".
 The expectation of dh_make is that it will make a good "first draft"
which must then be tweaked by the user. (Assuming dh_make is ever
enhanced to recognise Java packages of course).

I've got a couple of queries about your program:

  * It's getting late so I may have misread the regular expressions, but
are you only searching for a matching _class_ name (without the package
part). E.g. org.codehaus.plexus.classworlds.realm.Entry might match
against org.someone.else.Entry? Or have I misunderstood your RE?

  * Using the "strings" command seems to me a bit unsafe, in that you
could get false positives if there are (normal) strings that end in
"class". I'm not sure if that is a real-life concern, or just my
over-active imagination.

At this point I should probably confess that I've written a fairly
similar utility myself. It generates a package cross-reference as an
HTML file, and has its own set of problems - e.g. if more than one Jar
provides a class. I've never got around to finishing it, so it's a bit
rough around the edges.

If you are interested:

Example output for the Maven Jars:
http://www.paulcager.org/debian/Maven-2.0.5.html

Example output for all Jars (warning: about 100KB):
http://www.paulcager.org/debian/AllJars.html

Source Code (you will need libbcel-java to compile / run it):
http://www.paulcager.org/debian/JarDepends.java

Run by:
  cd /usr/share/java
  java -cp /download/dir:/usr/share/java/bcel.jar cager.jars.JarDepends
`find -type f | sort` >/var/www/paul/AllJars.html