Re: java dependency substvars and native compilation

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 01:58:46PM +0100, Matthew Johnson wrote:
> Two subjects to this mail. Firstly, I had a go at writing a dh_javadeps
> which will search for jar files, find the classes they reference and
> find the packages they are in. This can be found at
> http://mjj29.matthew.ath.cx/dh_javadeps It updates $package.substvars so
> you can use ${java:Depends} in control files.

Thats really nice to have. Unfortunately it didnt worked on a pretty
simple example for me.

I tried to this some ago too but there are are some problems that cannot
be solved easily. Sometimes you dont want to hardly depend on some lib,
you want only to recommend or suggest. That can be easily fixed I think.
The much bigger problem is reflection. Some code uses reflection to load
classes. Often the class names are computed at runtime and not visible
in some binary. Another problem is that very often different jars
provide classes in the same namespace. Which package do you want to put
into the dependencies? (javax.servlet comes to my mind)

> I have also been trying to get dh_nativejava to work with no luck. As
> far as I can tell, it does nothing regardless of how I run it. What is
> it meant to do?

It does only something when foo and foo-gcj packages exist. It compiles
the jars in foo to native and puts them into foo-gcj and registers them
on installation in the classmap.db.

Cheers,
Michael
--