Re: File locations: EAR, WAR, XML datasource

I've looked in the Debian Java FAQ (EJB and Servlet sections) and also the Wiki (link below) and couldn't find an existing answer to this question.

http://wiki.debian.org/FileSetsAndLocations

Also, defining such a directory would probably mean we need to define some dependencies, such as `j2ee-war-container', and `j2ee-ejb-container'. These dependencies would be satisfied by packages such as Tomcat, and could be used to ensure that two conflicting containers were not installed.

We dont have such a directory (yet). I wonder if its possible to have
some. There are still small differences/incompatibilities between
different containers. Sure, there is a small common denominator. But
does really worlds applications only use this common denominator?

There is a saying: `build it and they will come'

In practice, many applications built for one container don't always work in others. Some vendors focus on two containers rather than just one.

However, if Debian can show a mature approach to this situation, then at least some application vendors may consider the portability of their applications.

Maybe we should go one step further: a deployment directory for packaged EAR files, and a deployment directory for locally created EAR files (/usr/local/share/java/deploy).

Regards,

Daniel

Ready Technology Limited
Incorporated in England and Wales, 4940731
Registered office: Devonshire House, 60 Goswell Rd, London, EC1M 7AD