Re: File locations: EAR, WAR, XML datasource

On Sat, Dec 29, 2007 at 12:59:53PM +0100, Daniel Pocock wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Are there standard directory locations for the following types of files
> which are normally deployed to a J2EE container:
>
> - EAR and WAR files
>
> - XML datasource files
>
> By default, containers like JBoss look inside their own directory structure
> (e.g. /opt/jboss/server/default/deploy) - however, they can be configured
> to look in a central location (e.g. /usr/share/java/deploy perhaps).  This
> would enable WAR files and EAR files to be packaged without worrying about
> whether the user will install Jonas, JBoss, Tomcat or something else.
>
> I've looked in the Debian Java FAQ (EJB and Servlet sections) and also the
> Wiki (link below) and couldn't find an existing answer to this question.
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/FileSetsAndLocations
>
> Also, defining such a directory would probably mean we need to define some
> dependencies, such as `j2ee-war-container', and `j2ee-ejb-container'.
> These dependencies would be satisfied by packages such as Tomcat, and could
> be used to ensure that two conflicting containers were not installed.

We dont have such a directory (yet). I wonder if its possible to have
some. There are still small differences/incompatibilities between
different containers. Sure, there is a small common denominator. But
does really worlds applications only use this common denominator?

Cheers,
Michael