Re: [Debian-java] Lending a hand

Michael Koch wrote:
> Welcome in the team. It's nice to have you in the team.

  Thanks ;-)

> Please note that batik is a not so simple package. Its tied to its
> rdepends. Please keep that in mind. Also its in contrib. We should move
> it to main if possible at all. This needs to be done with care, as most
> java packages miss features when built with certain runtimes.

  Thanks for the warning. Then, maybe I could simply add manual pages to
the current version and patch it so the programs work ? That should not
break anything, if I respect Build-deps for building, should it ?

  By the way, about contrib/main, I've just written a small perl script
based on a package currently in NEW (jclassinfo, I'll make it
team-maintained in a minute) that is able to find out the classes
required by a given jar file and find the jar files it should depend on.
 That could make an appreciable step towards the construction of a
dh_java tool -- and that also could be very useful for the contrib/main
transition by allowing to:

  * see if the classes requirements of a built archive depends on the
build environment (most probably meaning that features are missing when
building with a free JDK)
  * see if the free Java machines actually have the classes required by
something in contrib, that could therefore be move to main.

  I'll write more about this when the package has made its way through
NEW (as it is but useless now if no one can test it). It might then be
meaningful to create a java-pkg-tools with this and other tools to help
make the transition.

  Cheers,

	Vincent

--