Java wrappers and java-common

  Hello,

  Many java packages provide runnable programs living in /usr/bin under
the form of a wrapper sh script. Most of them use essentially the same
or very similar code, although some are obviously of much better quality
than others.

  What about collecting reusable bits of these scripts and gather them
in a /usr/lib/java/wrappers.sh (or something) in java-common so it would
be easier for everyone to make wrapper scripts, and easier to undergo
any transition after that ? Wrappers would then just look like something
in the spirit of:

#!/bin/sh

. /usr/lib/java/wrappers.sh

find_java_runtime
find_jars alibrary.jar anotherone.jar

exec $JAVACMD $JAVA_ARGS -cp $JAVA_CLASSPATH classname

  It does look better than what is currently made. It would just require
an appropriate versioned Depends on java-common, which shouldn't be much
trouble. Code would include tricky bits to make sure that we have a java
runtime supporting swing and other contrib/non-free things that might
move to main in a (maybe not so ?) distant future.

  Of course, I'd volunteer to review a fair amount of the wrappers and
come up with a tentative wrappers.sh.

  Cheers,

	Vincent, definitely in a Java mood tonight.

--
Vincent Fourmond, Debian Developer
http://vince-debian.blogspot.com/