Re: Is this a Java error?

On 27/11/2007, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> Sounds like it might be trying to download and run some native code,
> but fails because the site only has Win32 code rather than both
> Windows and Linux code. Like Michael said, grab the network traffic
> and compare that to what the Windows version does with network
> traffic.

That explanation definitely makes sense (now that the penny has
dropped as to what "native library" means!), and indeed someone else
contacted me off-list with the same suggestion. Thanks for this.

Just to clarify one point (Java is all a bit mystifying for me). When
you say "the site only has Win32 code", I assume the point is that the
site is trying to make use of a Windows-only native library on my PC,
and doesn't have (or isn't making use of) any capability of using the
equivalent GNU/Linux library that may be present on my machine. Is
that correct?

Apart from that, I think I have now found the information I was
looking for from this list. Thanks to all those who replied, and
thanks to the rest of you for your patience. This issue has been
baffling me for months, and this is the first place I've found any
useful pointers to a solution.

John

[Please cc me in any response. Apologies if this reply breaks the
threading, as I didn't receive the message I'm replying to.]